Sunday 6 May 2007

Spiderman 3

Ok, so I've joined the list of people who have been to see this film over the opening weekend, with thanks to my over-eager housemate.... (love him really)

Hot, packed, sweaty cinemas aren't my forte, but I'll look beyond that and comment on the film.

The first two Spiderman films had massive worldwide success so the third one was always likely to have an air of complacency surrounding it, which is evident. Not necessarily lacking in content, rather the approach is somewhat different and it seems rather more experimental, particularly Tobey Maguire's 'darker' character. This isn't a bad thing and certainly adds depth to the film, but this depth could just as easily be read as un-necessary content, creating a longer film than required.

Maguire once again did a good job of playing the 'geek' Peter Parker, although when called upon to be a 'bad-ass' he and most likely the audience too, never felt comfortable. Not entirely his fault, but he did fail to convince me in parts. The rest of the cast however, were solid as usual.

Action sequences and the special effects were once again impressive, but unfortunately somewhat limited and even the final battle was perhaps shorter than it was built up to be. I went into the film with action on my mind and for what there was of it, it didn't disappoint.

So the plot... Annoyingly, very predictable, I found myself calling everything that was going to happen next. I;m not giving anything away when I say a certain to people will end up kissing (you'll see what I mean.) One more thing I will say is just how lucky it was that the meteor that crashed into earth at the beginning came equipped with a silencer...

If we could give half ratings, this would be a 2.5... Unfortunately we can't so I'm going to have to round it down to a 2/5. Worth watching, but don't go out of your way to book seats.

View the trailer here if I've not convinced you to see the movie:

No comments: